Week 6: Setback and More Events

 

            Hello everyone, and welcome back to my blog. If you did not read the first entry of mine, my name is Hiram Davila. I am a student at the University of Central Florida and will be graduating this semester. This blog post will be following my internship with RICHES Digital Archive throughout the Spring 2023 semester.

 

            This week was an interesting one. This was the first week that I felt like I did not make much  progress in my internship work. I have still been reading my guide on metadata and how RICHES writes their metadata, but I was hoping that I would be writing metadata by now. I had a setback which was my own fault. I took a trip to visit some friends in Tallahassee and overlooked the fact that I needed my computer. So for about 4 days of the week I could not read and now I am playing catch-up so that I can actually begin working on metadata. This was my own mistake and I hope to make it up.

 

            In other news, however, I went to the event I have been talking about for the past few weeks. It was the Groundbreaking event for the Historic Oviedo Colored Schools Museum. It is a project that RICHES has been helping and we have a number of oral histories regarding the museum. I met Geoffrey there and he took some pictures of the event to add to the collection.

 

            This was the first event I have been to for my internship, and it was special as it was directly related to the work, I have been doing for RICHES thus far. The transcripts that I have been working on were from an oral history for the HOCSM and I was able to talk to some of the Board members at the event about as well as the person whose interview I transcribed. The event was a smashing success with a whole bunch of people showing up for the Groundbreaking. This was a special event for me and a highlight of my internship experience thus far.

 

            Coming up, I will also be participating in another event this week. It is called the History Harvest in Altamonte Springs and I will have a role to play in the event which is exciting. I know it will be a different experience from the Groundbreaking event which I will be excited to talk about next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 14: The End

Week 12: Organization

Week 13: Sickness and the Future