Week 10: New Assignment and Events

 

   Hello everyone, and welcome back to my blog. If you did not read the first entry of mine, my name is Hiram Davila. I am a student at the University of Central Florida and will be graduating this semester. This blog post will be following my internship with RICHES Digital Archive throughout the Spring 2023 semester.

   This week started with me meeting with the RICHES team and getting caught up on the happenings that I missed during Spring Break. More importantly, I learned, or rather got reassured, of two events that were happening this week. 

   The first of which happened on Wednesday. In Sanford, there was a stained-glass dedication ceremony that took place. I was there with Dr. Lester as well as a few of her Graduate students. We observed the ceremony, then explored the city a little bit. This tour included different eateries, an arcade, and the house Jackie Robinson stayed at while he was in Sanford.

   The next event is happening tomorrow. It is in Zellwood and is called the “History Harvest”. This is what I consider the bread-and-butter event for RICHES. Different communities that work with RICHES will put on these events where community members can come to the event with different artifacts, trinkets, or oral stories that RICHES will record and add to our database. The oral history project that I am working on, a good few of the interviews were given at these History Harvest events.

   Regarding my next assignment, I will be trying to organize the plethora of oral histories that RICHES has acquired and created over the years. I will be organizing them by looking for a key feature in all of them and then marking them down while writing brief descriptions about each of them. The assignment should not take me too long and I hope to get it down quicker than the last ones I have worked on.

I am excited to go to the event tomorrow. While I have known about the history harvest events, the only one that I could have been a part of was the one that I was late to which I talked about in a different blog post. I am hoping a lot of people show up to the event and connect with the Zellwood community and understand more about the RICHES projects that are ongoing regarding Zellwood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 14: The End

Week 13: Sickness and the Future

Week 12: Organization