Week 4: Moving Forward

 

Hello everyone, and welcome back to my blog. If you did not read the first entry of mine, my name is Hiram Davila. I am a student at the University of Central Florida and will be graduating this semester. This blog post will be following my internship with RICHES Digital Archive throughout the Spring 2023 semester.

 

This week I spent most my time finishing up my revisions for the transcript I created. Like I have said in previous posts, the work that went into the transcript was a lot more than I was expecting, but I believe I did a great job. One thing that I noticed that I had to revise a lot was contractions. When we talk, we use a lot of contractions, but when writing we are told to keep contractions at a minimum. I think this was a reason that a lot of the times I would write the contractions out instead of writing exactly what the person said (for example, I wrote “must have” when the interviewee said “must’ve”). I am awaiting feedback on my final copy, but I know I will be working on metadata this coming week, which I am quite excited for.

 

When I first learned about this task, I was eager to begin because I had a very basic understanding of what metadata was. Wikipedia explains it as, “…the data providing information about one or more aspects of the data…”.[1] An example I have given to my friends is to picture yourself wanting to post a picture of Charizard online. If someone wanted to find that photo, what would they type in on Google? The obvious keywords they thought of were Charizard and Pokémon, but it goes further than that. Maybe a key word can be fire type, Number 006, or the assortment of Pokémon games that Charizard is featured in. All those words are part of the photos metadata and helps other people find that photo easier.

 

Working with RICHES, I see metadata as an important aspect of the projects we are working on. Being that we are a digital database, having the correct metadata associated with different collections and items within the database makes it easier to use. Having an assignment that works with metadata I hope gives me a better understanding of how not just RICHES database is set up, but how most databases are structured, in regards top metadata, and I can use that knowledge to help me with future research projects of my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 14: The End

Week 12: Organization

Week 13: Sickness and the Future